Are you ready for the first day of the State Fair of Texas? If you want to avoid the traffic and crowds, there are a few alternative family friendly events going on in Dallas/Fort Worth this weekend.
- The Princess Diaries is playing at the Palace Theater in downtown Grapevine at 7:30 PM. Eat dinner from any of the diners beforehand and show your receipt at the concession stand for free popcorn!
- Autumn at the Arboretum is happening through November 21st. For the 13th year, the Pumpkin Village in Pecan Grove is being transformed into a whimsical theme and scenes from your childhood. This year’s theme is “Neverland.” Visit the Dallas Arboretum website for a full description and list of activities.
- There will be a crowd and some traffic, but McKinney Oktoberfest begins Friday afternoon at 5:00 PM and continues through Sunday afternoon. Kid friendly activities include a petting zoo, face painting, Perot Museum Tech Truck, Play Street Museum, arts and crafts activities, and more. Head on over to their website for more information…and, if you snap a photo in the photo booth with a Coral Bunny and Lo “crown” prop, don’t forget to tag me!
- The Chalk Art Festival in Fort Worth is Saturday from noon to 4:00PM. You’ll be able to see elaborate chalk art designs by professional street painting artists at Crockett Row. Artists will begin as early 10 AM, so you can arrive early and watch their progress. They will also have a children’s chalk art area, interactive photo booth, and live music.
- Mainstay Farm’s Family Pumpkin Days begins Saturday at 10:00 AM and continues every Saturday and Sunday through November 4th. Enjoy over 70 acres of family friendly activities, rides and attractions, including a pumpkin patch, hayride, and farmer’s market. Visit the Mainstay Farm website for more details and pricing.
- The third annual Fall Plano Train Show is this weekend at the Plano Centre. Join other train enthusiasts from all over DFW starting at 10:00 AM on Saturday and Sunday. Children under 12 get in for free, but note that they only accept cash for admission at the door. Visit their website for more information.
- Movie on the Square in downtown Carrollton starts at 8:00 PM. Don’t forget to pack your lawn chairs, blankets, and bug spray! Coolers are allowed. Fur babies are also welcome as long as they are on a leash and cleaned up after.
- The Hurst Fire Department Open House is Saturday from 10:00 AM to 2:00 PM. Everyone is invited to meet the firefighters, view demonstrations, enjoy hot dogs and beverages, face painting, a bounce house, and more!